Renfrew 3-0 Maryhill

A disappointing result for the Hill to start the WoSFL era.

the players get used to the outdoor half time routine amid covid precautions. image from twitter

Match Report by Campbell Finlayson:

It was a tough afternoon for Maryhill who went down to Renfrew at a blustery New Western Park in their first game in the new West of Scotland Football League.

The hosts ran out deserved 3-0 winners but if some controversial decisions had gone the Hill’s way in the second half then Ross Wilson’s side could have got something from the game.

Last weekend’s clash with Ashfield was postponed due to the weather but the eventual start to the season couldn’t have been much worse as David McKenna capitalised on some poor defending to roll the ball under goalkeeper Mark McRoberts into the net.

Ciaran Diver and Liam McMenamay saw efforts miss the target as Renfrew took the game to the Hill with McRoberts then forced into another save from a volley before half time.

Renfrew defender Aboubacar Karamoko was lucky not to be shown a yellow card after crashing into Ryan Wallace who caused the defence problems with his direct running.

A Ged Dobbs cross was about all Maryhill could manage in the first half as they struggled to cope with the strong winds that blew against their attacks.

It was Renfrew who began the second half strongly as well and they were only denied by a good save from McRoberts who pushed the ball onto the post before Scott Morton smashed the rebound high over the bar. Former Hill left back Reece McGillion also forced the keeper into a save, tipping a free kick over the bar.

Maryhill were irate at the referee after two dreadful decisions denied them a way back into the game. Jack Easdon got in behind the defence and as he tried to lob the ball over Renfrew keeper Danny McLeay, he raced out of the box and blocked the ball with his hands but was only shown a yellow card by the referee.

The next decision caused even more outrage as substitute Brian Ashe raced into the box to get his shot away, only to be taken out by Karamoko, but the referee pointed for a corner despite the clear contact on the Hill forward who had to be quickly replaced.

Seven minutes later the home side put the game beyond any doubt as Diver shot down into the ground and up over McRoberts to make it two.

Ross Wilson’s side continued to press for a goal back with Craig Stevenson seeing his shot deflect just over before Wallace shot wide when through on goal but they couldn’t find the net and instead Renfrew made it three with Diver tapping home his second deep into stoppage time.

As long as the weather is kind then the Hill will play their first home game in Conference A as Annbank come to Lochburn.

Renfrew: McLeay; Karamoko, Gilmour, Callender, McGillion; Morton, McMenamay, O’Keefe, Dallas, McKenna, Diver
Maryhill: McRoberts; Browne, Etherson, Martin; O’Donnell (Mclnally, 58), Stevenson, O’Neil, Kennedy, Wallace; Dobbs (Ashe, 62) (Gray, 74), Easdon

Man of the Match: Craig Stevenson
There were a few contenders for the award but ultimately Craig covered every inch of the 4G pitch in an effort to drive on his side.

Leave a Reply