Maryhill 4-2 Girvan

Maryhill won their first game at Lochburn Park since the end of August in an entertaining clash with Girvan on Saturday afternoon.

Mick Browne and Craig Patterson had given the Hill a two-goal lead before Jay McInally’s brace doubled that advantage and despite late goals from Mark Curragh and Finn Taylor, Ross Wilson’s side held on for an impressive 4-2 victory.

Kick-off was slightly delayed after traffic on the M8 saw players held up and the opening stages of the game were also quite slow with both sides adjusting to the tricky surface, McInally’s low effort on 16 minutes was the first chance of note.

Matt Meechan’s long throw-ins have caused problems for opposition defences throughout the campaign and almost paid off soon after that McInally chance, with Patterson seeing his header held by David Markey.

After 34 minutes the deadlock was broken by the hosts, with a corner not cleared properly allowing Paul O’Donnell to fire it back goalwards. His strike came back off the post before bouncing around the six-yard box and eventually being turned home by Browne.

Girvan almost hit back immediately when Grant Richmond let fly, but his shot was tipped onto the bar by Glen Cameron in the Hill goal.

Two minutes later the ball was in the net at the other end once more with Meechan’s long throw this time leading to a goal with Patterson’s glancing header bouncing into the far corner.

It was three straight from kick off as the away side gave the ball away in midfield to Kyle McAvoy who drew in the defence before playing the ball out wide to Roland Smyth who showed great composure to square for McInally to tap home.

The visitors weren’t out of it though and were only denied a goal back before half time thanks to another two good stops from Cameron. His first was a fantastic diving save to push Richmond’s effort around the post before standing tall to deny Robbie Hannah after a good move from Girvan.

Within eight minutes of the restart, Maryhill would make it 4-0 with McEvoy involved once again. After winning the ball back with a crunching tackle in the middle of the park, he clipped it over the top for McInally who, with the option of Patterson in the middle, instead sent a low shot across into the bottom corner.

Girvan were given a lifeline just after the hour mark when Curragh was brought down in the area by Meechan and he stepped up to fire the spot kick into the net.

The Ayrshire side had the last say as well when substitute Taylor knocked the ball home late in stoppage time but ultimately the points would stay in Glasgow.

Maryhill: Cameron; Browne, Love, Etherson; Smyth, Stevenson, O’Donnell, Meechan (Martin, 67); McAvoy (Gray, 61); Patterson, McInally (Long, 83). Subs: McArthur (GK), McEwan, Martin, Gray, Ewart, Long

Girvan: Markey; Jeanes, J.Taylor, Condon, Mossie, Orr, Hannah (Love, 81), Balfour (Millarvie, 57), Curragh, Richmond (F.Taylor, 70), Kerr. Subs: Gibson, Brown, McLelland

Leave a Reply